Sunday 1 July 2012

I Heart Hackney...

Where the hell have I been? To be honest, I'm not really sure. This past week has taken me on an adventure around my beloved Hackney. It all started last weekend where I roamed a seemingly ordinary patch of grass in deeper east London that have been temporarily turned into a cracking festival venue for the BBC Hackney Weekend 2012. Now, say what you want about the TV license but our national broadcaster sure knows how to throw a good festival. I and my lovely mummy pal J scoffed Giant Robot burgers, Homeslice pizza and guzzled prosecco in the guest area like there was no tomorrow. In between all the eating and drinking (hey, we mums need to take on fuel) we azonto-ed to D'Banj on the 1xtra stage, cringed at Nicki Minaj on the main stage and of course just threw down to the one and only Jay-Z on the main stage who was joined by Rihanna and M.I.A and then of course Kanye West who came out for a half hour Watch The Throne encore. Amazeballs just doesn't cover it. And the best part of it was this all happened in my neighbourhood – Jay-Z was in my borough! * gets momentarily lost in a daydream of shopping in Pak's, Dalston for come cocoa butter with Jigga* 





This is proof to me of something that I have suspected for years – Hackney is amazing. It truly is. From the Barrel Boulangerie on Hoxton Street to the brand new pound shop two doors down (get your weaning essentials in there mamas), from the Dalston Superstore to WAH Nails, from my barbers on Kingsland Road to the hair shop that keeps my lashes game up, from De Beauvoir Town to Hackney Marshes, Hackney rules. I love it. It's just the right side of rough and the wrong side of edgy to keep me on my toes and in my hipster American Apparel influenced outfits. Having a baby really makes you get to know your neighbourhood, walking around with a pram takes you to places you would never have gone before and it's really helped me discover how great this part of London is. It's taken me six years but I truly, madly, deeply, heart Hackney. Now, if you'll excuse me I've got to yell at the jakes on the corner to stop arguing, Princess Nai Nai is trying to get some beauty sleep.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment